The computer is down again. I think for good this time. I am again over in Tara's kitchen typing while she feeds my greedy little children. Good thing I have friends so social services doesn't come calling. But, that is not what this blog is about. This blog is about being honest and it's accompanying blessings, or hardships. So, we are taught to be honest, to choose the right, and to look forward to our mansions in heaven (I tell you though, I don't want that mansion unless it comes with some poor soul doomed to a lesser kingdom to clean it). However, sometimes mansions in heaven seem a little too far off for me. I like the honesty I learned in little kid primary--the kind where you turn in the candy you stole and the manager is so pleased he gives you a king size bar, the kind where you confess to Mr. Mumford that he didn't grade your 7th grade math paper right and you actually got one more wrong than he thought and he to repay your honesty he gives you 100%. I like the getting your cake and eating it too honesty. Mansions in heaven are great but a little immediate gratification isn't bad either. I remember in college when I took an English paper in to the professor to show him a mistake he didn't catch. "Oh, thanks," he said. "I guess that brings you down to an 86%." What! Seriously. You're not going to give me extra credit for telling the truth? Ah, honesty, it's a crap chute. (Sorry, Mom, I'm channelling Laura.) As I get older I run into more and more of the blessings in heaven type of honesty and less of the ends well for everybody kind. More of the honesty where telling the truth actually gets you the consequence you deserve instead of absolving you of responsibility. Blessings in heaven are great but I miss the easy stuff. So, a couple days ago I took the kids down to trick or treat with the senior citizens. The kids and old folks had a great time but as we were loading up in the car Will fell out of the car slamming his door into the mini van next to us. Rats. I was trying to do a good deed and be nice to old people and this is what I get. I'm ashamed to say I was less concerned with William lying prone on the ground, his feet still in the car and more concerned with the very obvious dent he had put in the car next to us. I looked around, no moms where headed our way, the parking lot was otherwise empty, the angel and devil on my shoulders started negotiating. Nuts, I found a scrap of paper in my car, wrote a note explaining what had happened (I did make sure I mentioned the child falling), and left my phone number. I resisted the temptation to place the note in a place it might accidentally blow away or not be seen and stuck it under the wipers. Is it horrible to want the blessing of being honest and also hoping the lady never calls me? Well, I've been starring at cake a couple days now, nobody has called, and I'm feeling lucky enough that tonight I just might eat it.
Thursday, November 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I can't tell you how many car doors we've dinged over the years. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't always been as honest as you. Gulp.
Ah well, it's not like I'm probably getting a mansion anyway. I feel certain I'll feel lukcy if I am sentenced to clean other mansions. Like yours.
P.S. Aren't you married to a man who likes to buy stuff? Send that husband to Best Buy and get yourself a new computer, stat!
Oh, I hate that. I sure hope no one calls you. I had that experience in Utah. I had slid into a parked car on an icy, snowy day. It didn't make a huge dent by any means but I did leave a note. One one the car and one on the house closest to it. Never got a call! I was SO glad. Here's hoping your phone stays quiet too.
And I'm with Stie- get a new computer!!!
Eat the cake...it'll make the day better if and when the call comes. Just make sure it's a very good cake.
Love this post! Still no call yet? I think you're absolved and have a clean conscience. Good girl!
I'll clean your mansion with Stie.
Emily ...A really nice girl put a note on my car last year at Crocker Park. She saw the dent on the front of my Honda and left a note with her phone number under my wipers telling me she was so sorry to have caused the dent. I called her back and told her how way cool and honest she was and told her it came from a deer Rob hit. Then I gave her a gift certificate for 1,000.00 for her honesty.
your grateful friend,
Robin
Post a Comment