Wednesday, May 28, 2008

First Try

Tonight we were having a special "Temple Marriage" night for our Young Women at church so to make it a real celebration, my buddies Tara and Elana came over this morning and we made Wedding Cake!  And I must say, for first timers I think we did rather well.  I did learn that when cleaning frosting smears off a cake platter, select pieces from your son's lego set can come in handy.

It was a moist yellow cake with a chocolate truffle filling and an almond/vanilla bean frosting. We finished it off with little beads around the bottom of the ribbon and Tara brought her glass temple cake topper for the finishing touch.  
Now as usually happens when three moms get together of a morning to frost cake, there were quite a few children around.  Thankfully we had lots of hands to retrieve them from banging on the neighbors glass door, dangling from monkey bars, falling in toilets, and other kid chaos.  Other wise the clever children busied themselves snitching swipes of frosting 
and making melodious music.  A bunch of toddlers on the piano--such sweet sounds.
Despite the jarring aural environment, the cake turned out well, the girls loved it, and if you want a piece--come on over.  We've got loads of extra! Thanks to Grammy for recipes and Pops for moral support!
Because of the hurry to get cake done, get our selves cleaned up, and kids ready to stay with Pops and Dad's, neither Tara or I ate any real dinner.  And let me tell you, lots of cake with 50 pounds of sugar frosting on an empty stomach makes for a crazy drive home.  Tara and I car pooled and also took one of our 12-year-old young women.  The relief of having the activity over combined with a bit of a sugar rush bought out a rather silly side of myself, err, I mean Tara.  I warned her we better be quiet or else ol' Hamilton in the back seat was sure to find out we were really LOSERS.  Tara absolutely confirmed we are losers by saying, "We're not losers.  We're RAD."  To which I replied, "Kick down, white boy!"

7 comments:

Malea said...

Did I ever tell you you're my heerrooo?
You're everything I wish I could be.
Oh, and I, I could fly hiiiigher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings,
Oh, the wind beneath my wings.
Flyyyyy, flyyyy, fly high against the sky, (sound of bird) cawww cawww cawwww. Do you remember when John Bytheway came to Dixie Middle and did that? Anyway, what I am trying to say is, you rock!

Nikki said...

The cake looks amazing. As always!

Susan said...

you are heroes! Robert was thrilled with the night but he didn't bring me any cake! What gives? And I was so emotional yesterday he oughta've known! Bad Boy!

But you need to post the recipe. I'd love to have it. I love making wedding cakes.

So share....

Christie said...

Ah, a sugar rush, lack of nourishment, and tired bodies. Makes for some excellent silly time. I like it when I get to that place and let the Silly Stie out. She's really fun and says and does way more obnoxious things than I'd ever dare do. Yay for Silly Em!

Erika said...

Okay, I wish I could come over and have some cake, but seeing as how I'd have to find a sitter and catch a flight, I shall enjoy from afar. You guys did an awesome job. I've tried making a layer cake and it is hard. Mine looked like the leaning tower of Pisa. So, kudos, now can you tell me what "kick down, white boy means?" See, I'm an even bigger loser.

Marissa said...

It brings a tear to my eye to read "kick down white boy" on your blog, sniff sniff. You make me proud white girl. And too bad I could down that cake in one fail swoop! I TOTALLY miss your awesome cooking/baking/eating/gardening/anything to do w/food and Emily.
But mostly I miss the silly nights and senseless jokes that were hilarious (only to us)!!! How many times did you pee your pants????

Bridget said...

Beautiful cake. I'd like a piece, please.