Oh, how I love thee, Clean Kitchen. I love thy spotless counters, thy swept floors, thy clean table. I love thy bare island, free from knick knacks, stray mail, groceries, fridge remnants, and school notices. Thy tidy coin cup, thy cutting board purged of food stains. Yes, this is a happy place to be in.
But it took a little doing, it was a busy weekend, several family activities, several church activities, and lots of visitors. By Sunday evening I was tired. So I didn't freshen you up until this morning, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry you had to sit in your own filth overnight. But it was worth it, wasn't it, dear Kitchen. We have spent some quality time together this morning. Just you and me. And the sponge. And the paper towels. And the clorox. But now we are pristine and clean.
And so I will leave you to a little rest before the lunch rush. Have a good time and I will turn around now and go find out what the little ones are up to.
Oh crap. I forgot about YOU. You, Rest-Of-The-House. (Rats. This is what the little ones have been up to.) Oh, how I DO NOT love thee, Very Untidy Family Room. Let me count the ways:


Oh crap. I forgot about YOU. You, Rest-Of-The-House. (Rats. This is what the little ones have been up to.) Oh, how I DO NOT love thee, Very Untidy Family Room. Let me count the ways:
- Notice the gray p.j.s on the floor (and two other sets unseen on the couch). Evidence of a rushed change into clothes grabbed randomly out of the dryer in the hopes of still making the bus (we did, thank you).
- The tennis shoe next to those p.j.s. Evidence of the children who did not get on the bus and returned home forgetting that there is a very nice shoe tray right inside the back door waiting to except those little sneakers.
- Some long blue magnet thing that belongs to a set of long magnets things. A set that will soon be lost forever if that blue one doesn't quickly march over to collect it's buddies before they stray underneath the couch, down the vents, and parts beyond.
- The two blue sweatshirts on the floor, from afore mentioned children who also forgot there are some very attractive hooks right inside that back door as well.
- There is that DVD in front on the TV from Joseph's unwelcomed foray into the movie cabinet.
- The baby toy basket, empty but standing guard over its one-time inhabitants.
- There's that green box of wipes on the fireplace, and if you look close, yes, there it is, a dirty diap--soaking up the sun in hopes of hastening it's odorific takeover of my home.
- Oh, and there, next to the top left leg of the coffee table is yet another, balled up soggy diap. We might as well get the baskets out and have ourselves a good 'ol easter egg hunt.
- Two blue pairs of sweats by the wipes, quickly left there last night in the hopes of running around the house nekkid several times before being forced into pajamas. Pajamas that would later join those sweats. Join those sweats in a room that is neither for washing clothes nor for storing clothes. A room that has no business at all holding clothes and yet, seems to get stuck with that job all the time.
- And we might as well make it ten with the messy magazine pile. "The garbage is coming for you lot," that's all I can say. "Psst, except you, J.Crew Catalog, you can stay a while longer. Just don't tell the others."
So there you have it. My Euphoria . . .

and my defeat . . .

Oh, well. No time for the defeat now. Have to go take a shower. So we'll make this easy. Should you chance to come to my house today. Come right in, I will welcome you. But you are only allowed to face this direction.

And whatever you do, just don't run around.
8 comments:
First of all, I love thy kitchen! Beautiful space and light. I would love to spend a morning with you there, chatting and laughing.
And the family room? Just looks loved in.
Wow what a lovely clean kitchen! I love a clean kitchen, and a clean house but my house usually looks like the family room only much worse.
I still wonder why it takes a few hours and a lot of elbow grease to clean a room and just a short time for it to return to a mess. Like the laundry room, I just finish the last load and the basket is empty and by nightfall the basket is starting to fill up again. Will it ever end? BTW, you have a beautiful kitchen.
oh i love it- please come tidy up here- I just want a cleaning vaction when i can purge the house of all mess and then cattle prod anyone who makes one (oh wait thats me)
I love your kitchen, especially your cute black toile window treatments. I need to find some like it in blue for my dining room.
What a great house - who cares about the clothes and diapers strewn about! Such a lovely kitchen to sit and bask in the sunlight. I'd turn my back on that room, too, if I were you.
Yes, I love all that natural light in your kitchen. I do enjoy that clean kitchen feeling too. Too bad it never lasts. sigh...
Emily you are so hilarious!! Never mind whether it's clean or not...I want your kitchen!! Love it!
now i ask you....do you have to have a kitchen this clean? and how long will it last? Is this what Robert talks about when he says "cloistered virtue"?
Go with the family room...it's what family rooms are for...and the diaper needed the sun. We all need the sun...
Post a Comment