Monday, October 1, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom!

As you might have guessed from the title today is my mother's birthday. She is a spectacular woman of whom I have yet to meet an equal. (Hope that was a correct sentence. Although, one of Mom's few shortcomings is her grammar and spelling-which I inherited-so if it is, she will never know!) She taught me all the important things in life, besides grammar and spelling (Mrs. Smiley took on that doomed task). She taught me how to make brownies, how to clean a toilet, how to fold a shirt, and how to plant a garden. She taught me how to fold in the corners of my bed sheets, how to french braid my own hair, and how to cook a roast (at least she tried). She taught me how to go adventuring, how to have pillow fights with your kids, how to be confident, and how to let other people win. She taught me to love reading, to love history, to love learning, and to love any stray animal that comes your way.

I was just reading to my boys the story of Helaman and his young warriors. I'm sure you know the story. They had been taught by their mothers to have faith and not doubt. As they recount the words of their mothers to Helaman they tell him "We do not doubt our mothers knew it." Everything my mother taught me, from the silly to the eternal, from the outward service to others to her quite devotion to family and faith, I do not doubt she knew it. And although my brownies are dry and my roast is burned, the service cuts short and I'm not much of a scriptorian, don't worry Mom--the lessons were learned and just like you taught me, I'm pressing on. I love you. Happy Birthday!

5 comments:

Christie said...

I've had your brownies - they are not dry; I've had your roast - definitely not burned; and I've even had your service - far from short. Your mother taught you well - I'm trying to learn from you! So in a way, maybe your mom is teaching me, too!

Happy Birthday, Emily's mom!

Tara said...

That was very heart felt about your Mom.

Susan said...

Happy Birthday to Mom!

Anonymous said...

Man, I miss you!!! As I read thru your blog, I laugh, cry, and hyperventilate all at the same time. Those were the good old days in Ohio... trying to have some kind of normal conversation over the air hockey table at Cici's pizza, laughing so hard we end up crossing our legs standing up and running to the bathroom, rarely making it in time. Good eats at Emily's house and "something from the frozen food section" at mine. Knowing that by 8:30 every morning, I would call you or you would call me and we would plan what we were gonna do that day. Thanks for it all... and I think you are as amazing as your mother. -Moisha

Annie said...

I second Moisha and Stie...you are definitely your mother's daughter. She sounds wonderful & the nut doesn't fall far from the tree (is that the saying? suddenly I worry that it's not quite it...)