Friday, January 11, 2008

Happy Birthday Matthew Moo

Yesterday was Matthew's birthday. He is 5 years old. I remember when he was born and my friend Stie's kids were 5 years old. I coudn't imagine having a kid that old. And now look at him. All grown up and wearing Birthday Crowns and playing with others. (Don't worry, that baby girl Chris is holding is a friend!) I wish I could post a baby picture of him, he was a gorgeous baby, but unfortunately Little Moo was born before we had a digital camera and I have yet to take all those negatives to be put onto CD's. At the time I was convinced I would have an ugly baby. All the kids in my family were funny looking until we got a little older. We were the squashed, pale, bald babies (but very cute toddlers). My friend Julie Bleak was expecting a baby at the same time. She had four other children and they were all BEAUTIFUL. Girls with long blond hair, boys with dark eyelashes that practically fell to their noses. I knew I would have to go to church with my funny looking kid and sit next to her with her new beautiful baby. As it turns out, she did have a beautiful baby, but wonder of wonders, so did I! (At least I thought I did.) He was olive skinned, had almost black hair, dark eyes, long eyelashes, a little dimple in his chin, and the most precious puckered lips I ever saw. His fingers were a bit stubby at first but that was easily overlooked for the rest of his exquisite little self. I couldn't believe my luck. Not only was he not ugly, but just looking at him sent a little shiver of awe down my spine. I had a beautiful baby. And now he's all grown up and 5 years old. He wanted a cake with a diesel train on it. I can't draw worth beans but googled "how to draw a steam engine" and came up with some pretty good instructions. He was pretending to be "Light" the Steamlighter that day, hence the Happy Birthday Light! (You can see the kids already got to it a little bit.) We hit a milestone this birthday. I don't know how to categorize it appropriately but it is a big milestone. The LEGO milestone. Now it begins. Matthew received a sort of starter kit bucket of Lego's and then Daddy found several little kits that each build 3 things. Matthew has remained happily entertained ever since. I love to see him entranced in his building and creating but am not looking forward to picking up Lego pieces in every nook and cranny and big floor area for the next 15 years. Here's to maybe keeping them organized! For at least a day or two.

Happy Birthday Moo!

7 comments:

Annie said...

Happy Birthday to Matthew! He really was a beautiful baby...and continues to be! We call Maddy "Maddy Moo" too. There was an ice cream chain in DC called Maggie Moo near our house and the name stuck.

The lego years are huge. Sam still loves them at 9 and a half. He and Greg have lego car races all around the house, Greg always loses (good dad that he is) and Sam send him to "loser school". It's this whole elaborate routine they've developed and I love it.

By the way, loved your mind the gap comment on mine. I used to think it meant to stay a respectful distance away from other people :).

Christie said...

Oh, Em. How is your boy five? Has it been that long? I can't believe it.

And you made me laugh out loud with your ugly baby fears. There is no way either you or C could have ugly babies. If your three aren't proof enough, have a few more to test the theory.

Congrats on the big milestone. Next stop: Kindergarten. It only gets better from here!

Happy birthday, you peeing, biting, creative, animal, light! We will always say we knew you when...

Unknown said...

Hi Emily! Happy Birthday to Matthew, looks like the cake was a success this year, not as many sprinkles! I just started a blog, but I'm a rookie so it's not that cool. Oh well, it's easier to keep in touch this way!

Susan said...

welcome back...I've had limited readings the past month. wondered where you had gone.

Tara said...

Happy Birthday...what a fun party you had the other night...was glad to share it with you Matthew!

Bridget said...

Happy birthday to Matthew! Your boys all look so cute I have a hard time believing there could be any worrying in babyhood.

Meta said...

happy birthday! sure hope Matthew's enjoying the recycled magazine! go green! :)

WOW, Abby sure looks crazed in the pic!