Friday, May 30, 2008

3 Degrees of Truth

Situation:

You are at the zoo.  It's time for lunch.  You find a nice spot on a little veranda overlooking the bird pond and lay out some peanut butter sandwiches for the kiddos.  You eat lunch and as the children successively finish their sandwiches squares and apple slices they begin to meander around, pulling themselves up on the railing to better see the swans and ducks swimming in the pond.  As you are getting the baby cleaned up a man a a few tables over catches your attention ton let you know your kids are rather high on the railing and leaning over.  (He doesn't want them to fall, of course.)  This man was polite, and I'm sure he was legitimately concerned, so how do you reply?   
  1. Thank him for watching out for your kids and hustle them down from the railing and back to the table  (very cordial--helps everyone else feel good)
  2. Thank him for watching out for your kids and let him know you are keeping an eye on them and they'll be fine  (nice but leaves the man still a bit nervous)
  3.  Tell him you are a very responsible parent and would never let your child hang over a railing before first looking over yourself to check the depth of the water.  And you are almost positive that, should he fall over, if he stands on his very tippy toes he should be able to keep his head above water.  Or grab on to one of those pilings in any case.
Any thoughts?

8 comments:

Malea said...

So, at Walmart a couple 'o months ago, we were in line and had the 3,2,1 year old piled in w/ the groceries and Mart items. Mason and Michael decided to engage me in a "mom look up there" then poke me in the tummy, game. They were laughing like crazy and McKay was squealing and being so cute. Mason/ Michael were jumping a little but I was right by them. It was a "behold your little children" moment, when a man observing, with his wife, mentioned, "Cute little guys, hate to see them fall out". To which I replied, "YEH, they're fine, THANKS." I was gratified when his wife nudged him and echoed, "they're fine". So I'm leaning toward option 3. Did I ever tell you about the time I guest taught RS when the lesson was on "anger management", true story. ps, need a mentor for my blog, I'm too lazy/busy to look through all the FAQ's.

smart mama said...

curse the man telling him he spoiled your plot to have your child accidently injure themselves so you could sue the the zoo and live comfortably ever after.

Anna said...

Hmmm... I would probably do #1 and do it quickly. Why I feel like I have to please total strangers I don't know. Maybe in this situation to avoid CPS from knocking on my door because they received anonymous phone call about child endangerment.

Tara said...

My vote is for no. 3...hey...I didn't here this story, and I was there with you...I need more details later.

Oh yeah...and when you decide to go with choice no. 3, make sure I'm there...I could use a good laugh and a good KICK DOWN WHITE BOY story!

Christie said...

I'd probably do number one, but I'd want to do number four, which you forgot to list. Tell him to mind his own business and that you are perfectly aware your children are climbing the railing, and that you know they will not fall. And if they do, you will hear them, and grab them before they drown or are eaten by any stray alligators that have wandered out of the zoo. Then you can smile sweetly and ask him what time the old folks home bus will be by to pick him up.

Okay, so I'd never dare do that. But I've wanted to on MANY occasions.

Erika said...

I vote for number two, but with a little more "tude".

Emy5 said...

I would go for number one, but it would be much to my chagrin. I don't want anyone to tell me my job, if they are not going to support me in it. I doubt if that man would have saved your kids.

Pooh to him!

(That's as rude as I get)

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sweet Pea,
Of course you were correct in following through with #1. I would only add that you might wave and holler, "Thank you for telling me". You remain in complete control of the situation both emotionally and physically plus you have been very encouraging to the gentlemen who offered the helpful suggestion. All the comments were useful and appreciated especially when they came from such talented, intelligent and amusing friends. I love you, Grandma B