Friday, February 27, 2009

He, Me, and Pari

A little over a month ago Chris started working with a client in France and since then has been taking weekly trips to Paris and Grenoble.  Needless to say he has built up quite a few fly-miles so he surprised me with a little weekend trip to join him.  (Thanks Grandma B for coming out to be zoo keeper for a few days!). 
It was a quick trip, once I got over there and he finished work for the day we really only had a day and a half in Paris but hey, as Pop's says,
"You gotta be somewhere.  Might as well be Paris."
 Yes, might as well be.  
Since we didn't have much time and Chris was a bit worn out from 20 hour days, we gave up sprinting from attraction to attraction and just took a layed back approach.  "We'll see what we see," we decided.  And we didn't mind splurging on taxi's and yummy food because it's only a day and a half.  You can't blow too much money in just a day and a half--so have a good time.
And we did.  We freshened up, grabbed our coats, our walking shoes, and hit the streets.
We wandered, we stopped buy his office, we took in the view from his balcony--to the right the Arch de Triumph, to the left the Louvre, and then he took my hand, snuck me around a corner, and into the most charming and delicious pastry shop, where my taste buds took a journey to euphoria. Chocolate filled croissants, vanilla eclairs (which were nothing like I was used to) and many flavored macaroons (which were even less like anything I was used to).
Sweet tooth satiated, we strolled along the street, found ourselves by the river, and hopped aboard a boat for a short cruise.
We past museums like this,
 cathedrals like this,
and more gardens, bridges, and architectural wonders than I can remember.  All whilst enjoying a bag of Lays potato chips--the Rotisserie Chicken and Thyme variety, never seen those before.
The next morning found us again in a pastry shop.  We ate our fill, chased it down with orange juice (because that's something healthy), and joined the masses outside Notre Dame.
Crowds or no, it was overwhelming.  My camera was a pocket size one and flash was ever so nicely prohibited so this is my best shot.
Leaving this place and thinking nothing could ever compare, we headed to the top of the hill Montmarte and the Sacre-Coeur cathedral.  Walking in I was shocked by the bright blue color of the sky on the ceiling.  Wondering how such a striking color held up over hundreds of years Chris pointed out to me that the walls were not covered with paint, but miniscule mosaic tiles. We sat in awe at the effort, and then made up for the rest by taking the steps to the roof.  It was amazing.
The whole trip was amazing, 
We strolled some more, enjoyed some street food, saw more of the city, and finished the day with a ride to the top of the Eiffel Tower, and the absolute best meal of my life at La Grande Cascade.
Really, amazing.  I walked the streets of Paris, tucked in my love's arm, eating pastries to my hearts content, and drinking melted chocolate till my toes simmered.  
A weekend for the record books.  Thanks Honey, I loved every minute with you. 
Incidentally, I took the same attitude toward calorie intake as to monetary exodus--it's only a day and a half, you can't ruin a month's worth of exercise and healthy eating in a day and a half. Unfortunately, as it turns out, you can.  But hey, "you gotta eat something!"
 
  

7 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, Emily, what a great {quick} trip! I'm so happy you went. And I'm sad I didn't guess on your last posts because I was totally thinking Paris. Good for you!

Anna said...

Quick trips like yours provide some of our greatest memories. It sounds perfect.

Christie said...

That sounds like the best weekend ever. Just picturesque, lovely, and filled with nothing but good things. So glad he took you. What a good guy you've got there!

Grandma said...

Emily, I am so jealous, not just because you got to go to Paris, but after spending the last couple of hours reading your posts I want your life! Not really, but it really is a blessed life that you lead. Shane's mom/Ann

JP said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed Paris. I loved it too...although for some reason others don't. Totally didn't guess it though.

JP said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed Paris. I loved it too...although for some reason others don't. Totally didn't guess it though.

cynthiawintch said...

Paris-Shmaris, Im still stickin' to Manti, Utah as the best place on the earth...yea right. Great times in Manti...and in Paris. My first trip to Paris was when I was 18, a whole ten days of goodness. All that you described was what I felt when i first went there. But instead of kissin' a cute hubbie I settled for kissin' the Eiffel Tower. "Hey, ya gotta kiss somethin'" . PS in that last pix of you and Chris, you look really small next to him and I like that orange coat--good buy!!!
Laura