Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Basket Full Of Photos

Our Easter festivities started out with a little neighborhood hunt in our backyard.  It was tons of fun--we had 17 kids and a dozen eggs per child so there was plenty of hunting to go round. The children were all very focused on finding eggs and nestling them safely in their baskets.  The only problem with this is nobody wants to be bothered with smiling nicely at their mama's camera when there is candy to be had.

And so I end up with photos like this:
Joseph
he's on a mission
he's walking firm and strong
with a big stride
(for a two year old)
scouting the lawn for any missed treats
and determined 
to not be hindered
by paparazzi mama's
or 
William
investigating his loot
completely centered
on his captured rainbow
and oblivious
to my calls to look up
or 
this beauty from 
Matthew
which I like to call
simply
"Ehh?"
After the hunt everyone found a protected spot, huddled over their loot, and inspected the harvest.
Saturday night before the boys went to bed I quickly tried their Easter clothes on them to make sure which pants fit who and that all ties were accounted for.  Joseph was surprisingly excited about it and wanted to put everything on.  He jumped up and down saying, (all with a two-year-old accent), "New church pants, new church pants."  I didn't tell him those pants had already been "new" for his two brothers.  He was so pleased with himself I had to snap some shots.
He still bears the healing scar on his chin from a slip in the tub several months ago--I think it might be there for life.
Sunday morning we woke early enough to enjoy baskets and special breakfast before church, yes, a feat. After church I wanted to get a few pictures of all my boys before the obligatory Sunday nachos and frozen pizza (we had real Easter dinner later with friends).  But once again, smiling at the lens was the last thing on minds of these little ones and this is the best shot I was left with. And as always seems to happen when you put these four together, things quickly dissolved into a tickle fight. After settling down inside and a couple calmly placed threats of no candy, they at least all looked at me.  Oh well, I've learned to accept it and take what I can get. We ended our observance with a tradition that as I explain it loses all of it's "funness" and seems only a bit gruesome for Easter.  So I'll leave it to the photos, and remind you it's just a cake, albeit in the shape of a lamb. Lastly, our eggs.  Matthew's the more earthy colors, having been dipped and dipped and dipped again.  Each taking a turn in most every color.  Will's the more vibrant, taking a swim in just one or sometimes two colors.  He told me about each:  "This is Orangy.  He likes to play soccer.  This is Greeny, he likes to play baseball.  This is Bluey, he likes to  . . . "
And now I must go hit the elliptical, and try to leave some of that Easter chocolate behind me.  (Ohh, that's a little bit funny.)

4 comments:

Christie said...

I would like to learn more about the beheading of the lamb cake. That looks like something the people around here would enjoy.

Your boys are getting so big. Tell them to stop growing already!

Annie said...

Yes, I have lots of those drive-by shots where the kids are glaring/passing by/ uncooperative. All part of the fun! And I'm with Christie. I must know about the decapitation tradition. It looks fun!

Once again, I must comment about your beautiful boys. So handsome, each one!

Angela said...

Glad to see that you have as much trouble taking Easter pics as we do. Cute (I mean handsome) guys. Thanks for the paper eggs. They are beautiful and fun.

Malea said...

Your new shirt and tie pic looks waaayy better than mine. I tried to take several so I could at least photoshop a good face or two in...no luck 'tho. I love your backyard. I bet you love it too. Don't you just stand out there and look at it for just a little bit than let out a happy sigh?