Thursday, September 24, 2009

Birthday Wishes From Afar

I was going through an old box in the basement and found this (if you click on it you can read it bigger)--apparently from our sacrine coated dating days (I embarrass myself a little with the ridiculous reference to Browning--honestly, did I say those things?  I thought I was much more level headed and even, much more Elinor Dashwood than Marianne, oh well).

In any case, it made me smile.  And remember all the early reasons I loved you.  And remember all the silly ways I had of showing it. 
 In case you can't read it, here were 10 ways I had to show I loved you back in our Chatham Towne days--I'll spare you the laughing comments I would add to each now, I'm sure you'll have your own . . .
10.  If you had a 2:00 A.M. craving for them, I would make you brownies from the box.
9.  If one of the girls you home-taught talked as long and as fast as Annie Kennedy (Ashley's friend from next door) and needed to vent, I would come over and listen to her while you went and got a pop.
8.  If all the gas stations and grocery stores around Provo closed for some bizarre reason I would drive to Nephi to get you cherry filled powdered doughnuts and milk.
7.  If you came by my house at 1:00 A.M. after an extremely long and tiring day with a hand written 12 page paper detailing the wonderful new qualities of carbon fiber piping that was due at 10:00 the next morning I would stay up all night typing it for you (and love it!).  (I hope that wasn't a run-on sentence.)
6.  If the Dodge broke down and you were stuck driving the Saturn, I would put in a lumbar support system for your back.
5.  If you needed to test your hand cycle for oscillations at high speeds but didn't want to get hurt I would be your crash test dummy.
4.  If you were stuck at my house in the middle of winter and our heater was broken I would sew all my sweatshirts together to make one for you.
3.  If we got caught at Stewart Falls again after dark without a flashlight and you sprained your ankle I would use all my girls' camp knowledge to cut down some small Aspen trees, make a stretcher, and haul you back to the car. 
2.  If you needed a kidney I would give you one of mine.
1.  If you really wanted to, I would face the roaches, pestilence, disease, and amoebas and travel to Guatemala with you.
Still love you to pieces.  Have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY.  I love you.
your Emmy

5 comments:

cynthiawintch said...

Hi Sweet Pea,
It pleases me no end that you and Chris enjoy such a lovely relationship. I am so very happy for you and for him. He is truely worthy of your love, and you are "practically perfect in every way!" I love you! Mom

cynthiawintch said...

Oh man, that was totally awesome!! Im so glad that you "thought" you were so "Elinor Dashwood". Im so happy that you were so googlie-eyed for Chris...still are I guess. I can't get over how great this is. It makes me feel a little bit closer to an already very close sister. Good to know you're pron to love-silliness too. Chris is the best, Im so glad we've got him in our family. I really respect him, what a good man you got Emmy!!
Laura

Malea said...

I dig on the Wintch's. Ya all make me smile.

Christie said...

Isn't it funny to read the lovey dovey stuff from way back when? Happy birthday to Chris!

Susan said...

way sweet! do not change a word!