We paid our second respects to a much loved season by pulling out that icon of summer . . . the slip 'n slide. We have a bit of a hill in the back yard which helps the little ones get down the slide easier. Never mind the warning posted brightly on the box that reads the slide should always be used on a FLAT surface and never by anyone under 35 pounds. Hey, it's a slip 'n slide, I'm not expecting a quiet, uneventful, safe activity. It's a wet ride with lots of uncoordinated impatient little children. You take your life in your hands sloped slide or not. Luckily everyone ended the day happy and we felt content in bidding adieu to the heat for another nine months. (If you are a mother/grandmother of one of these children and would like to view the whole slide show click here.)
This past weekend was our first foray into fall and a lovely one it was. We took a trip out to the farm where a village peddler festival was going on. We were bombarded by all things autumnal--apple pie, maple syrup, kettle corn, you name it. We bought some of that kettle corn first off and then headed to the pony rides.
That's Matthew's impression of a leopard seal. Seriously, I'm not making it up. He's been a leopard seal for several days. Now, what a leopard seal is doing riding a pony I don't know, but please don't tell the pony. As we left the pony rides and wandered across a lawn an old cowboy lassoed Matthew. Matthew thought this was the best thing ever and spent the next 15 minutes running back and forth in front of the rope throwing cowboy while he (the cowboy) explained to me that it is much easier to catch a calf/child when on a horse that is running the same speed than trying to keep up with one on foot. Good luck buddy, I know all about it! Next we watched a border collie working sheep and then visited the barn and saw some looked like little dalmation piglets. Sorry the picture is blurry but trust me, they were cute.
We ended the day at the little play area. There were several large photo backdrops with face cut-outs like apples, clowns, etc. One of them was a pea pod with three peas with holes for faces. I was thinking what perfect day this had been and taking a picture of my three boys in the pea pod would just finish it off beatifully when I looked over to see Matthew with his underwear and pants around his ankles holding his residue covered hand out to me and saying, "Mom, I think I pooped in my unders." Oh well, so much for the picture. Time to go home kids.
4 comments:
Why is something like that so much more funny when it happens to someone else? So, so sorry for you. Was Chris there? Did he dry heave at the sight of it all? Oh Em...
P.S. I'd encourage Matthew to pretend he's a Thunderbird. At least they don't bite.
Hi Emily, Your mom told me about your blog so I checked it out and it is so much fun to read and see the pictures of the boys! Cute, Cute!
Oh all the outings that are ended abruptly by a wet or dirty pair of underwear. It is funny when its someone else. Or funny to you once its over and you're blogging about it.
Nothing like a little numero dos to wrap up the day's outing! I agree with the others, it's so much funnier when it happens to someone else. Been there, friend.
p.s. I had to laugh that they were in the pea pod when it happened :).
Post a Comment