Monday, September 3, 2007

Tales of a misunderstood mother: Chapter 1 (in what I'm sure will become a long saga)

Chapter 1: Biting; or Another reason Bindi must go on hiatus

Matthew was removed from his church class yesterday and brought to me. Never a good sign. One of the primary leaders met me in the hall with him and explained he was having "kind of a rough day." Another bad sign. She told me he bit his teacher. The third bad sign. "Matthew," I said in a somewhat stern voice, "Did you bite Sister O'Dell," as I roll my eyes a bit. You see, dear readers, Matthew is not a biter. He has never been a biter. He is, however, a pretender, and lately he has been pretending to be a cheetah (because of our dear Bindi the Jungle Girl). So I was not taking the biting very seriously. I assumed he sort of put his mouth on his teacher's arm and maybe licked her or something (nasty enough in itself) and in general caused enough distraction and disturbance to be taken out. This was not the case. The leader who brought him to me could see I wasn't grasping the gravity of the situation so she explained further. He really bit her. Bit her enough she cried. Yes, he bit her that hard. I couldn't believe it. I didn't know what to do. I was of course upset with Matthew but as I stood there the realization fell on me--this was one of those situations. The situations I try my hardest to avoid but that follow me around like a dragging shoe lace. The responsibility, the fault, the embarrassment of this situation does not ultimately land on Matthew, the four year old perpetrator . . . it lands on me, the Mother. I now bear the shame of being the mother of a biter. "Look, there goes Emily. Watch out, her kid bites." "Oh, there's the biter. You'd think his mother could control him." I will be told everyone's cure for biting. The biting back, the hot sauce, the naughty chair. I will watch as parents whisper to their children to be sure not to sit next to Matthew, "he bites." But as with all problems one must look at the root. Biting is not Matthew's problem. He does not have some weird Freudian issue with being nursed too long or not long enough, or having a pacifier till he was almost four. He does not have some oral fixation. No, Matthew's problem is not with his mouth. Matthew's problem is his imagination. He was not "Matthew" hiding under the pew during class. He was "Cheetah." And desperately trying to get away from the hands hunting for him under the bench. So, where does one draw the line? He had his time in the corner, he was denied his "after church" nachos to tumultuous tears, and there will be no "Bindi" for this week until we work out how to foster his love of animals and unbridled imagination without creating the predator of primary. As for now he is relegated to calmer creatures and spent the afternoon rolling and unrolling himself in a blanket while he transformed from a caterpillar to a butterfly.
What have I learned in all this: the embarrassment a child feels at being dragged over to an adult's house to apologize and the resentment directed at the parents for this embarrassment is nothing compared to the embarrassment the parent feels at having to apologize to the offended adult before the child, after the child, and every time the parent runs into said adult forever after!

9 comments:

Bridget said...

Oh, Emily. What a nightmare. I hate those situations. Part of you just wants to say, I believe my kid, not you, so there! It is hard to be subjective adult and mother who knows best. Good luck!

Emily said...

To clear up any confusion, he DID bite his teacher, and hard; and I guess it doesn't make much difference but he just didn't do it with a "biters" mentality. He did it with a cheetah mentality, which, hopefully makes it less likely to happen again.

Christie said...

Oh Em. You and your poor little Cheetah. I feel your pain, sister.

Just take comfort in the fact that soon enough you will start embarrassing HIM. McKay is now embarrassed of me sometimes in public (which is disturbing somewhat), but good to know that payback does come around in spades.

Case in point: I had been doing some painting and was wearing my hideous painting sweats. I called the kids up to take them to McD's for dinner and McKay looked me up and down with disdain and said, "Uh, Mom, are we going to eat inside McDonald's?" No, kid, we're not eating inside. I have some sense of self-respect. The relief on his face was hysterical.

It may not be of any comfort, but hang in there, sister!

Susan said...

wow! is this the one who was rolling under the pews in the closing exercises? Let me tell you, after Sunday I have decided I am way TOO OLD for Primary. You do not want to know how this Old Granny would have handled all the things that happened in Primary on Sunday.

So do not despair. Your kid was not the only problem. And not all the problems were the kids.

Take heart. Do not take this upon yourself. Let it go. Just wait for the next problem. It'll come and it'll be bigger. Promise. And you actually get to live through them all.

smile...the worst is yet to come.

Nikki said...

Don't blame yourself. That's what my mom always tells me. Even though it is hard to do. I hate that it seems as when ever kids do something bad it is because mom doesn't do this or mom doesn't do that. Kids are kids and they will continue to do embarrassing things like trying to close their sister up in her stroller during sacrament meeting.

Anonymous said...

My third was a biter. UGH! I was so smug with the first two (who each had been biteees but never biters). I thought it was my superior parenting until number three came along and spoiled all my illusions. Great post.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry!! I did not want anyone to know what happened. My Mailon was a biter and I know how embarassing that is. And, once he finished with biting, he moved on to other things, like throwing a beanbag at his gymnastics coach yesterday. I love Matthew. If I was a cheetah, I would do the same thing. A child's imagination is wonderful and it goes away too quickly. I am sorry Matthew did not get his Sunday nachos and I hope you will not be embarassed around me. :)

Emily said...

Ha Ha! I can't believe you, Nikole found this blog! You are too nice and the sweetest teacher ever. Thanks for being so understanding. When I got off the phone with you I said to Chris, "I can't believe she is so nice. AND she still likes Matthew!"

Max and Deborah said...

For the record we absolutely love Matthew in our class. He definatley has an imagination. This is what makes Matthew so adorable and it is mentally healthy. Matthew is a sweet loving little guy that loves to play. We welcome him into our class with arms wide open. If we are all judged by what our children do then there is poor judgement, because children will be children. I know mine are.