Wednesday, August 8, 2007

If I were an extra on Law and Order

I was up late last night repainting the powder room with not much to think about. Somehow my stream of consciousness led me to Jerry Orbach who played a detective on Law and Order. Chris really enjoys Law and Order and Jerry Orbach and I got to wondering if his view of Mr. Orbach would change if he was aware of his staring role in that classic coming-of-age movie, "Dirty Dancing." My mind kept wandering as the paint brush slid up and down and eventually seized on the idea of me being an extra in Law and Order. Here's how it would go:

Mr. Orbach, a.k.a. Detective Lennie Briscoe and his partner are walking through central park when yells bring them running to the seen of a woman crumpled on the ground next to a bridge (this is me). As she starts to loose consciousness she mumbles something. Det. Briscoe leans in close, "What was that?," at which point I say, "Nobody puts Baby in the corner!" Ha Ha Ha!
Now, I am positive this must have happened to Mr. Orbach numerous times. I can just see it, a co-worker, a camera operator, an extra, whenever they get the chance, "Uh, Mister Orbach?" "Yes." "Nobody puts Baby in the corner." After which they and everyone else around them laughs while Jerry, for the millionth time, rolls his eyes and turns on his heels for his trailer.
Not much, I know, but it was 12:30 a.m. and the paint fumes were thick in that little room.

3 comments:

lorimu said...

Emily, I think you might need to get some more sleep. You are too funny!

Christie said...

Oh, Em. That is one of the BEST LINES EVER in a movie. Seriously hadn't thought of that in a while, but if you ever see him on the street YOU MUST DO IT. Even if he rolls his eyes, punches you, or steals your purse because of it. I'm telling you, if I ever see him, I'm totally saying it. I've got about five lines I'll say to Jack Nicholson if ever he and I meet in a dark alley ("You can't HANDLE the truth" or "I love you, too, kid" are just the starting points).

P.S. Pictures of the newly painted powder room are requested, please.

Susan said...

Oh, Ho! I love Jerry. I loved him in Dirty Dancing. I loved him on Broadway...what a voice and what a dance man! Was very sad when he died.

My daughter's garage was broken into and her VW, named Wolfie, was smashed. Robert's reply, "No one puts Wolfie in a corner."

We are Dirty Dancing/Jerry Orbach fans.